Sunday, March 4, 2012

Caterpillar Science

I am currently taking the science capstone for my degree. What this means is that I have taken all my science classes for my major and the "capstone" is the last one you take that ties everything you learned into teaching. It is a very fun class, we do all types of science projects that can be used in our future classroom. 
On Wednesday of last week we got our caterpillars! I was so excited and had been looking forward to this section since the beginning of the semester. I will be raising 4 caterpillars that will turn into Painted Lady butterflies. I have to admit, when I first saw them they were not the cute plump green ones I was expecting. They were very small black furry ones. They look like this up close. 
As they get bigger they turn that more green color. Well, since getting them on Wednesday they have tripled in size! They are hungry little buggers that's for sure. Here are my guys, sorry the picture quality is pretty bad. I'm getting my new fancy camera soon!


I call them guys because you can't tell their sex until they are butterflies. The males have little grabbers on their hands so they can grab on to things...if you know what I mean :)
So for now, they are boys. The two with the red stick in their cup are Edward and Jacob, and the two in the green cup are Peeta and Gale. Yes, I am that much of a nerd!!

This will be a must one day with my future kids, my actual children and my students. Kids just love it too. I know for myself, caterpillars are one of the few things I remember having in my kindergarten class.

I can't wait for these little guys to come out of their chrysalis's as pretty butterflies!