Thursday, December 1, 2011

A New Family Heirloom

Don't you just love family heirlooms? They are so special. I've gotten a few since getting married in July. They are definitely things I treasure and will one day pass on to my daughter.

On Thanksgiving, my family all came over to my moms house, including my great grandma Irene. I've talked about her in a blog post before. I might have referred to her as Babcia, which is grandma in Polish. Her and my great grandpa were married since their early twenties up until his death about ten years ago, roughly 60 years. He was a career Marine and loved it. I forget how high of a rank he became, but I know he was up there. My great grandma always tells me stories of when they were stationed in Israel, when my grandpa was just a baby.
Anyway, she gave me a pin when I had seen her on Thanksgiving. It is a gold rose with a silver EGA. My great grandpa gave it to her when they were stationed at Camp Pendleton in 1967.
I just love it and am so grateful she wanted to pass it down to me.
From a veteran marine wife, to a new one.

No comments: