I don't know what it is, but I've always had an interest in the Amish way of life. I don't mean that I want to live that way, but I just find it interesting. Same with the Mormons who practice polygamy. I'm obsessed with the show Sister Wives. I just find peoples life styles and religions that are so drastically different than mine to be fascinating. And I mean this in a completely respectful way.
I'm currently reading Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. It deals with a murder in an Amish community. A newborn baby was found dead in a barn and no one is admitting to being pregnant or having the baby. One girl is charged with the murder, but the Amish do not believe in our legal system and her family does not want her to have a lawyer. I'm about half way through and so far it's great. It seems Picoult really does her research before writing, even though it is fiction. I've learned quite a bit about the Amish through just reading and I really enjoy it.
Also, starting this Sunday on TLC is a new show called Breaking Amish. The show will follow five young people who are Amish who go to live in New York City. I can't wait!
Anyone else interested in this stuff too, or am I just a weirdo? Haha
5 comments:
Yes!!! I am actually really excited to watch that show. I think it will be interesting to get an inside look at the Amish.
I have the show set to DVR. I can't wait. There way of life is VERY intriguing I must admit. Also have found a few recipes that my family has indulged in a little. I will have to add this book to my pile. :)
I am the exact same way. I loved the Plain Truth. Another book I liked is Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo. I also read The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. The Plain Truth and The 19th Wife were both made into movies (I think on Lifetime). Both lifestyles are completely fascinating to me.
I cant wait for the TLC show, either. They have been playing the commercials like crazy. It looks good! Have a great weekend!
I think Jodi Picoult is a very thorough researcher. I always feel I've learned something after I have read her books.
Post a Comment